Automotive car parking solutions
Posted By Tedra | 20 Aug, 2020

Tedra Automotive Solutions is a Pvt. Ltd. company and is dedicated towards providing customised mechanical and automated parking solutions to meet specific customer needs. Ajay Raina, CEO, Tedra Automotive Solutions has spent 28 years of his professional life across various sectors of industry.

Since January 2018 Mr Raina has started looking into his own family business Tedra Automotive Solutions Ltd, mentoring the company to establish its presence in the business of Automated Car Parking.
Post MBA Mr Ajay Raina started his professional career in Delhi with Delton Cables Ltd. Delhi, as Management Trainee from Campus and subsequently worked with companies like Autometers Ltd. (a JV with Lucas Electricals of UK), Ashok Leyland and Apple Industries where Mr Raina was a VP responsible for operations in Northern India till the year 1998.
Mr Raina moved to Pune from Delhi and had a long professional association with the Kinetic Group. Having joined as an Executive Vice President in 1998, Mr Raina worked with the group till the year 2017 in various important roles and assignments. Mr Raina took up critical challenges as head of Sales & Marketing for flagship companies of the group i.e., Kinetic Engineering Ltd. & Kinetic Motors Ltd. selling bikes, scooters, Mopeds with a sales turnover of Rs700 crs. A 1000 employees and 450 dealers nationwide, Mr Raina played a key role in launch of new products and establishing rural network that contributed addition 30% of sales.
Later Mr Raina moved as the CEO of Kinetic Hyundai Elevator & Movement Technologies Ltd. a JV of Hyundai Korea and the Kinetic Group engaged in business of Elevators, Escalators and Car Parking. A company where he worked for 10 years and was instrumental in signing off a financial JV with Hyundai and building a National Network for Sale and service. Ajay also rose to be director on board of various Kinetic group companies.
Mr Raina loves Pune where he lives with his family and spends a lot of time mentoring youngsters and sharing his practical experience. Mr Raina believes that it the young of today are far more focused and are the future of this great country.

We are all aware that cars are moving only 5% of the time to commute and are parked for the remaining 95% and therefore when not in use whether at home, office, hospital, roadside, shopping plaza, city centre or college we need to provide for their parking

New technologies from solar farms to electric cars, drones for delivery and driver less taxis will mark some pathbreaking changes into our modern cities in the very near future. For a generation that will always be on the move the most important change will be the revolution in the urban transportation and its worst nightmare today i.e. Car Parking.
We are all aware that cars are moving only 5% of the time to commute and are parked for the remaining 95% and therefore when not in use whether at home, office, hospital, roadside, shopping plaza, city centre or college we need to provide for their parking.
At 32 mts. /car that are required ideally to park a vehicle this is probably the most pinching and expensive use of a real estate in urban India. Compounded by a lack of policy and space in our cities it surely has made urban living and commuting chaotic and nightmarish.
Parking policies of present and past governments have been lax and lacking in vision. In cities today where vehicle population is almost running hand in hand with the human population for example Delhi has a vehicle population of around 90 lacs and no parking policy for public parking. The result is for all of us to see, our Capital City is among the most polluted cities in the world and even short distances are tough to commute if not impossible. This is becoming true of our all major cities be it Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Pune or Kolkata.
Health of a city, liveability, how a city feels, looks, how its residents move, how the traffic flows, how much time do they spend commuting, how much pollution is generated is solely decided by how a state manages its traffic and therefore parking.
Even as I write this, across the country 85%-90% of Public Parking happens in narrow lanes, roadside, streetspots, corners, footpaths, by lanes and anywhere. Majority of this happens free of cost or at very low costs thus in a way subsidizing use of private vehicles and chaos. People at any time prefer to drive rather than cycle, walk or take public transport if available.
There is a dire need to have a proper policy framework for management of our cities especially developing of a Parking Policy and management. We must curb the free for all, anywhere and everywhere approach and reduce the area given for parking. Designated parking areas, parking duration policy, pricing of parking to generate revenues for better facilities and discourage long hours, ownership of multiple vehicles, encouraging car pools to work. Police and the traffic management authorities are the frontlines in traffic laws. They should be mandated to enforce the rules and regulations binding the vehicular traffic operations without any fear or favour.

New automated car parking systems can offer large parking facilities using height, depth and width intelligently to provide customised needs for public car parking. Some of these facilities are working effectively in large modern cities like Tokyo and New York.

Introduction Of Information Technology

The use of computers and other information technological tools like communication gadgets and radar for traffic monitoring are highly relevant for solving complex issues relating to parking problem and traffic management.
Cities should have an areawise parking Plan with a thorough understanding of the supply and demand, peak and non- peak traffic situations. Policy makers and private professional parking operators can come together and play a great role in easing this problem with successful business models encouraging organised parking and commute.
With modern day technologies stacking up and use vertical heights to park and retrieve vehicle is convenient and possible. New automated car parking systems can offer large parking facilities using height, depth and width intelligently to provide customised needs for public car parking. Some of these facilities are working effectively in large modern cities like Tokyo and New York. Private builders in India are also adapting this technology to resolve their parking woes. Government should have a clear-cut policy guideline on public automated parking systems as it involves large capital outlay and its economics do not work under a typical government run BOLT programme as in infrastructure.

Policy makers and private professional parking operators can come together and play a great role in easing this problem with successful business models encouraging organised parking and commute.